Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lent 2011

The year 1995 was my year.  I was five years young, I got this awesome wallet from Wendy's which I have been using since high school, and "da' Bulls" were preparing for another "t'ree peat."  Life was great.

Well, if you have been following my blog, you know that I, though I am a monster hypocrite, have something against technology.  That is why for Lent in the year 2011, I have decided to go back to 1995.  What that means is that from March 9, 2011 to April 23 of the same year, I will not be using any technology or convenience I did not have when I was five years old.  I have decided to take on such a task for no less than three reasons.  They are: 1) I want a break from technology 2)I want to see what it feels like again to be free from the grip of my computer and cell phone 3)I want to seek God without the distraction of technology.

Here are some things I did not have or use frequently in 1995 and will not use during Lent:
1. Modern Laptop (meaning no Facebook or Blogger)
2. Cell phone
3. Car
4. Debit Card
5. Gaming systems that came out after the Super Nintendo

It is impossible to completely get away from all technology.  As a matter of fact, because I failed a class this semester I have to take it again online.  So, even in my attempt to go back in time, I will have to make some very important exceptions. But, I do believe the five things I will be giving up for the season of Lent do well at representing the spirit of 1995.

This brings you and I to an important question.  That question is, "What about This Old Dome?"  Now, I am very aware the world doesn't need this blog and very few, if any, will miss reading my posts; but I still don't want to give up my writing during that time.  To answer the question, I am not sure.  I have thought about trying to write a book during that time or sending what would be my posts via US Postal Service (I am not sure if that even exists anymore).  I am not sure how that is going work, so if you have any ideas, let me know.

P.S. If anyone wants to journey back to 1995 with me, the more the merrier.

1 comment: