Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Unique Ministry of Savannah, Georgia

Today I visited one of the coolest, and perhaps the most unique, ministries I have ever encountered.  On Houston Street, in downtown Savannah, Georgia, underneath towering trees and Spanish moss, you will find the International Seamen House, a shelter where sailors from around the globe can stay when they are in port.  There at the house, you will find things to entertain the senses and the soul.  When you walk in the door and look to the left you will find a game room with a ping-pong and pool table.  If you walk straight upon entering through the front door, you will find a room where they keep things to give to the sailors such as clothes, magazines, and knit hats that a ninety year old lady makes.  In the back of the house, you will find a chapel with a stain glass window featuring an anchor.  The best part of the house is not the collectible article from around the world, but a book shelf containing the most priceless article in all the universe: the Bible translated into the languages of the sailors that may be visiting their safe haven.

My finding this treasure in downtown Savannah is not a coincidence.  I believe it was Spirit led.  See, my friend Puckett, who I am visiting this week, has two Chinese room mates.  Thus far, my attempts to befriend these two have not accomplished much.  My forward American demeanor does not cope well with their reserved demeanor.  Even though I will continue to try to begin conversations with them, I want to make sure I leave them something that can change their lives through clear communication.  Therefore, today I set out on a mission to find them Bibles in Chinese.  And thanks to a kind pastor named Parrish at a downtown Presbyterian church (what a novel idea, a Presbyterian and Baptist doing God's work together) who was able to send me to Evelyn at the I.S.H., I was able to get Bibles for Aaron and Yi Faun.

So as you pray, pray for the I.S.H., Aaron,  Yi Faun, and all the churches and ministries in Savannah, Georgia as they minister to the world as it comes to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment